I love the 4th of July - always have and always will be one of my favorite holidays! Not only do we celebrate the birth of our country, but we always celebrated the birth of my grandaddy! This time of the year always makes me think about him & reflect back on the many memories of him!

There was always a cookout on the 4th at my grandparents house - all 5 of my daddy's siblings would come - along with their spouses and children. It was a big celebration! In February of 2007, my grandaddy passed away from a long battle (over 30 years) with multiple myeloma. We were fortunate to spend his last few days with him. We had planned a trip to my parents & when he was put in the hospital, we headed there instead. He was released back home to live his last few days. Skyler would sit by his bedside and watch tv with him & write him little love notes and leave on his nightstand. Grady was just 5 months old, but I am so thankful my grandaddy got to meet him before he died. Oh & he would've just loved Miss Abby Cate & her spunky smiles! She must get her ability to smile so big from him - his smile could light up a room! I can still hear him standing on the front porch hollering at us kids as we drove away - "bye! bye! bye! bye!" I miss you Grandaddy - you were the only grandaddy I really had growing up & I love you so much! You were truly GRAND!!!
Happy 4th of July! Enjoy your cookouts & family & friends! Happy Birthday America!
No comments:
Post a Comment